Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP

Join in with Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2011 

The topic of today is Skill + 1UP.  This was easy for me.  By far, the greatest skill I have picked up is lace work.  I don't believe it was something that I rationalized or planned.  It was simply an evolution of knitting.  Similar to what I talked about yesterday in the choosing of yarn and fiber.  There was a time in my knitting/crochet life that I would make you anything as long as it was stockinette stitch, garter stitch, or I-cord.  And even I-cord was a big move for me.  I can without a doubt attribute my fiber arts evolution to discovering Ravelry.  Furthermore, if I looked up when I had that haircut with my friend from high school who told me about Ravelry, I am sure I could pinpoint the day.  I think that it is a natural evolution to want to make something bigger, a sweater, add a zipper, follow a chart.   There is a point where stockinette and granny squares aren't enough.  That is when I discovered lace.  I kind of dove in head first.  But, I enjoy it so much that I will be teaching a class on beginning lace soon.  I am very proud of the lace work projects that I have accomplished.  Highest on that list of course is having completed my Girasole blanket.  But, another favorite is the Arabella shawl.  It turned out so lovely in the Jamieson Spindrift yarn.  Lace work is still a work in progress, but it is a skill that I am so proud to have accomplished this past year.  

Tomorrow: Tidy Mind, Tidy Stitches.

Be well. Create. Inspire.

No comments: